University of Wisconsin-Madison
1550 Engineering Drive, Madison, WI 53706
Find it Fast: Draft Agenda | Relevant Links
Online Viewing Links:
This program is Co-Hosted by:
8:15 – 8:30
8:30 – 9:30
Keynote: Slide Show: Mary Ann Dickinson, President and CEO, Alliance for Water Efficiency
9:30 – 9:45
The State of our State
vesperman powerpoint Kevin Vesperman, Administrator, DOA – Division of Energy Services: New and upcoming requirements for clean water and storm water in Wisconsin.
The Role of Water and Energy
Slide Show: Victoria Pebbles, Program Director, Great Lakes Commission: A regional understanding of the water/energy relationship.
10:45 – 11:00 Break
11:00 – 11:45
From Rainfall to Outfall and the Embedded Costs to Fill Your Glass
Harrington powerpoint Greg Harrington, UW Madison Professor: The energy costs associated with moving, treating, metering, and removing water all to result in a glass of clean water.
11:45 – 12:15 Lunch
12:15 – 12:30
The Drivers of Change in Water Rates
jeff stone powerpoint Jeff Stone, Division Administrator for Water Compliance and Consumer Affairs, Public Service Commission of Wisconsin
12:30 – 1:00
Water Efficiency in the 21st Century—Wisconsin’s efforts to use our resource wisely
denise schmidt powerpoint Denise Schmidt, Water Conservation Coordinator Public Service Commission of Wisconsin
1:00 – 1:15 Break
1:15 – 2:30
The Municipal’s Role—A Panel Discussion
Each speaker can have up to 15 minutes. This will be followed by open discussion.
- bielanski powerpoint Andy Bielanski, EPA — Resiliency (and security) and the need for re-thinking our water infrastructure
- Robin Schmidt powerpoint presentation Robin Schmidt, DNR — Green Project Financial Support from the DNR/EPA and help for smaller system programs
- Lawrie Kobza, Boardman and Clark, LLP—Best techniques for capital planning
Case Study Panel
Mike Davis powerpoint Mike Davis, Middleton City Administrator. New rates to incorporate costs associated with an innovative water conservation program
3:15 – 4:00
A Water Utility Prepared for the Future
heikkinen powerpoint Tom Heikkinen, General Manager, Madison Water Utility
- New Meters, Rates, and Conservation
- Water Infrastructure – What’s in the Pipeline
- Where is the Water and How is it Used http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/
- Water Fact Sheet for Wisconsin http://psc.wi.gov/
- Financing for Sustainable Water Projects http://www.
- Alliance for Water Efficiency http://www.
- Defining a Resilient Business Model for Water Utilities http://www.waterrf.org/
- Did You Know? How much water does your food use?
- How Much Water Does it Take…. Water Footprint of Crops
- How Much Water Does it Take…. Water Footprint of Animal Products